I noticed a dress on Creative Chaos and really liked how the skirt was constructed. I had already decided I wanted a t-shirt to be the top of the dress. I had previously purchased two t-shirts at the 99Cent store and decided to use them for the top of the dress. They look grayish in the photo below but were really a periwinkle blue. I think the lighting in the room was not good for the photo.
I cut out the top but cut it shorter using the marking "waistline" for the length to cut it. This photo really shows the nice periwinkle color of the t-shirts.
tutorial as mentioned above and sewed the skirt to the top.
I wanted to embellish the dress so embroidered some flowers and french knots along the waistline. Added a green button to a pocket that that had already been cut out of the fabric to the skirt. The top still needed a little more color so I saw this great fabric flower tutorial and made a flower for the dress top. (I saw the flower tutorial on the same tutorial I used for the headband mentioned below.)
There was still leftover fabric so I sewed a headband from a tutorial on Joyfoolery. I only made one change on the headband from the tutorial and covered the elastic with fabric. I realize it may make a difference if the headband will stay on but can always remove it if needed.
It was a little sentimental using the fabric as it brought back memories of being used by my daughter many years ago....but I can get sentimental about a lot of things!
So Thankful To Be Sewing!