Sunday, March 10, 2013

Denim Project Bag for Yarn

I have been wanting to make a yarn bag for current projects that would be easy to take to appointments, friends homes, and even on an airplane.  I started last weekend ....  it turned into a week long project!  So glad to finally be able to share it!

I found some pretty denim fabric that has been in the stash for quite a long time and decided to use it.

I used an existing tote bag as a pattern and also as the lining to which I sewed a pocket on each side to hold books.
Took apart corner of bag to measure
Bag with corners undone to make pattern from
Pocket sewed to each side of original bag that is now the lining.  I later made a strap for each pocket and velcroed the strap to the pocket to hole the books more sturdy.  I also used two pieces of fabric for each pocket, folded in their edges and sewed them before sewing to bag.
 Then I made a sturdy bottom piece by cutting a piece of foam board to fit in the bottom, and covering it with the fabric.  At first I sewed as below and used pinking shears to cut around the edges.  However, later took this apart and sewed the fabrice with seam turned inside, leaving an opening,  and put in the foam board and hand sewed the opening.
Foam Board covered with fabric
 I also added velcro to one inside edge and created a cylinder shaped yarn holder that would velcro to that edge and the working yarn would go in it.  I did use a stiff fusible pellon in the yarn holder to make it stiff.

Cylinder holder for working yarn with velcro closure to hold different size skeins.
Then, I wanted to make a holder for whatever crochet hooks I would be using and created this fold up hook/ruler/scissor holder.  Hopefully, you can see how there is a top that first folds down over the hooks and the the two remaining sides fold up and velcro closed preventing the hooks, etc from falling out.
Shows hooks in stitched down pockets; velcro at top that folds over the hooks
Two sides folded over each other and fastened with straps velcroed together.
I used a fluffy fusible pellon inside the straps and also inside the body of the bag to make it softer than just two pieces of fabric sewed together.

It took me a week to sew/create pattern for this bag and accessories.....I enjoyed the challenge....but needed to exercise a lot a patience during the many undo's and redo's that occurred during the creating process!

I was able to use it in the past couple days and really like how the working yarn sits in the bag as I use it....  It is a sturdy yet soft bag.....All done!!!!!!!!!
Working yarn on left side sitting in its cylinder pocket, great book Crochet 101 in book pocket, and hook wallet sitting inside.  (The other side pocket is for the great book Crochet Stitch Bible that I recently ordered from Alibris, and is on the way........)  You can also see the closure over the pocket the book is in.
Bag and accessories....I made an extra wallet (to left ouside the bag) to hold the crochet stitch markers.

 Happy Creating, Happy Sewing, and Have a Joyful Week!












16 comments:

  1. Wow! NO wonder it took you a week...you thought of everything. It looks great. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is darling! Wish I knew how to sew. I can only crochet a little. I use a small tote to carry my yarn on trips. What I really need is a big something to put all my yarn in at the house! I started with a big basket and now its overflowing and I need to move up to somthing bigger. Im trying to find something with a little style since it sits beside me chair in the den. Thanks for sharing your cool idea! come visit me sometime. Have a great week. www.lifeawayfromtheofficechair.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super cute! Love all! Thanks so much for sharing this! Would love to have you visit me sometime.
    Have a fabulous week!
    Hugs from Portugal,

    Ana Love Craft
    www.lovecraft2012.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great bag! And I love the pretty denim you used!

    Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
    Hope you have a fabulous week!
    Jill @ Creating my way to Success
    http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this idea - thanks for sharing! Lorraine at www.lorrainesthis2that.blogspot.com!

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow, now you are very organized! Love it... looks really handy and useful. I stopped over from Ginger Snap Crafts... would love to have you come check out my link party..http://www.nap-timecreations.com/2013/03/st-pattys-pasta-and-tasteful-tuesday.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello, I'm visiting from the hop. I love this bag idea, it caught my attention on the hop. I'm your new follower and want to invite you to visit my blog and hopefully follow back. I'm working on a denim bag currently which I posted in the hop.
    Best
    Angel

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fabulous, practical bag, Kay. You've thought of everything. I haven't knitted for a long time, but I the wool always used to fall on the floor... not with your bag. Great job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Newest follower here! I found you through the blog hop. You have a super cute blog, I can't wait to read more. You can find me at meandmr.com

    -Melanie @meandmr.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is the perfect bag! Everything has it's spot. I love it. Thanks for sharing at The Weekly Creative.

    Shannon @ Sewing Barefoot

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow -- you thought of everything! Thanks for sharing on Busy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  12. FABULOUS! This is the real deal! Linda

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great bag!! Thanks for sharing with us at Eco-Kids Tuesday! Hope you join us again today! http://likemamalikedaughter.blogspot.com/2013/03/flip-trainer-review-at-eco-kids-tuesday.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, what an incredible idea and great execution!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your comments!