Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Delicious Blueberry Coffee Cake

A few days ago, I was craving some kind of dessert so I raided the cupboard and found some Trader Joe's Whole Grain Baking Mix.  On the box was a recipe for Blueberry Coffee Cake...however, I did not have any buttermilk as called for in the recipe.  I had some Greek Yogurt (also from Trader Joe's) and from information online found out it could be substituted for the buttermilk by adding water to thin it out to the consistency of buttermilk.

I gathered the ingredients........all from Trader Joe's........

Following the recipe on the box I put the Baking Mix in a bowl (however, was a little short of the 2 1/2 cups of mix so added a little flour also.  Then added one cup of the thinned out Greek Yogurt that was mixed with one egg and 3 tbs of oil; plus 1 cup of applesauce that I decided to substitute for the sugar.

I stirred in the frozen blueberries...about 1 cup and tasted the batter.....a little sour so I added about 6 tsp of Trader Joe's Organic Sugar. 

After greasing the baking dish, I poured in the batter and baked it at 350 degrees for about 45 minutes.....

It was actually delicious......It was like a heavy bread that wasn't very sweet but still tasted very good.  I sent some to my neighbor and she enjoyed it also.

Next time I am going to make it into a loaf as it was delicious being toasted for breakfast.........

It is all gone



2 comments:

  1. We love your cute bag and delicious recipes. We would love to have you share them at our Strut Your Stuff Saturday link party at sixsisterstuff.com. We also have a new sister blog site where you can share recipes and make money. Check it out at Myrecipemagic.com. We are soooo excited for it! Have a great week. -The Six Sisters

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is what I should have made when I had a sweet craving last week...instead I made cookies and ate WAY too many. This seems like a much healthier alternative. ;-) Canaan misses that applesauce in the picture...I made some the other day and he hated it, Evie too...they said they only like the applesauce at Nanny's house. :-)

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your comments!